Thursday, November 3, 2016

The Greats: Middle School

I am now in my 4th year of undergrad and facing graduation in May. I have been in school for 3/4ths of my life and the idea of not being in school anymore is a bit scary. It also makes me a bit nostalgic. Teachers have been a huge part of my life and sometimes we forget how important they are. So here are some of the great teachers I have had over the course of my life: starting with middle school.

"One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child."  - Carl Jung

Mrs. Barghols: Mrs. Barghols was my Enrichment teacher throughout middle school. I don't think I understood how great that class was until later, it was just a fun thing I got to go do instead of regular class. She had me in class for 3 years and probably knew me the best out of all my middle school teachers,  she called me Lizzie instead of Elizabeth (which is what I went by then). She encouraged us to reach beyond normal school, to be creative and invent things. She didn't treat us like the little hooligans we were, she talked to us like adults. I didn't even realize I was learning things while I was in her class, but they are some of the ones I remember most vividly. Mrs. Barghols always had a kind word for everyone and encouraged us to be ourselves. She gave me confidence in myself and made learning fun, and for that I will always remember her and be grateful.

Mr. Goodwin: I think I owe this one an apology. I never took him or his classes seriously enough (and it didn't help that I hate history classes). Back then, antagonizing the teachers was entertainment, and while I was never very loud or rowdy, my friends were. As I look back now, I realize the immense amount of patience he and many other teachers had with us. It takes a special kind of person to teach middle schoolers. Mr. Goodwin poured a lot into his students and into me.

Mr. Wilson: Mr. Wilson was a large man with a thick, dark beard, and he probably could have looked pretty intimidating if he didn't always have a smile on his face. He was my volleyball coach, which I only participated in my 8th grade year (because I was horrible, I think I was on the 3rd "C" team). Despite the fact that I hit the ball more with my face than my hands, he was always kind and encouraging. You could really tell that he loved what he did, and that is what I remember most about him.

Thank you to all of the teachers who put their time and effort into me, you deserve the best.


1 comment:

  1. It's always nice to come across teachers who care about what they do. I can't even recall any of my middle school teachers names..

    "Despite the fact that I hit the ball more with my face than my hands" - Sorry, I was one of those kids that would spike the ball into other peoples faces. :')

    ReplyDelete