Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Greats: High School

I had so many amazing teachers during high school, it may be hard to fit them all into one post.

Let's start with Mrs. St. Clair.
Mrs. St. Clair has a small frame, wears glasses and has short, grey hair. She probably wouldn't stand out to you in a crowd, but she was an amazing teacher. She taught computer science at my high school and I had her for two years in a row. Computer programming wasn't something I excelled in, but I did okay, I mostly kept doing it because her classes were fun. It was a class that encouraged team work, we would scour each others code to find the errors or ask for the best way to do things. Mrs. St. Clair invested deeply in her students and you could see how much she loved teaching. On some days we would even come have lunch in her classroom to work on a project or just hang out and fool around on the computers.

Mrs. Custred taught AP World History while always managing to be the best dressed person in the room. She was always very engaging in class and loved to talk to her students about anything and everything. She has the best shoe collection of anyone I've ever met. Although she has a love of fashion that runs deep her love for teaching was obviously greater. She made it easy to talk about history in practical terms (history is one of my worst subjects) and I got pretty good at constructing an argument in my essay during her class.

Mr. Haselwood is probably the most fun teacher ever. Everyday in-between classes he would play very loud pop music usually accompanied by some dad-style dancing. It was a little goofy but in the middle of the day it was nice brain-break and I always knew it was going to be a good class. During Christmas time he would hang Christmas lights from the roof tiles. One year for Swine Week (fundraiser) he pledged to dye his hair hot pink if we raised enough money. He pulled off pink hair pretty well. He was always loud and always in a good mood. He didn't treat us like kids, he talked to us like normal adults and made learning fun (also he taught math, which can be pretty hard to make fun). I believe he is no longer teaching but is now going to graduate school to continue bettering himself and I know he is bringing smiles wherever he goes!

To be continued!!! (because I have had a lot of awesome teachers)

No comments:

Post a Comment